Back into the pit we went. The VIP experience was a little too real for us anyway. We ordered another round of shots after the first 3. We were throwing caution to the wind at this point. We've already already been to hell and back and were probably on our way there again.
"So what's the plan again?" Danny asked
"Not to suck dick!" My humor was more twisted by the day.
"I just think one round of paper, rocks, scissors is not enough to decide maybe two out of..."
I interrupted again, "Stop fucking around already and just focus on the code, remember we only have one shot at this. Just say the code in the mic when you battle Steel then he'll reset and we'll ."
"Alright, alright, alright..."the host came on the mic, annoying but comforting somehow. The lights dimmed. Showtime. "Now, it is the time to do what we came here to do...can I get a aaaa-yo?"
The crowd, begrudgingly in response, "aaaaa-yo"
"I can't hear you, can I get a hell yeah!" The lights were all the way down now.
"HEEEEELLLLL YEEEAAAH!!!" The crowd was onto the warm-up and put an end to it with one affirmative shout.
"Okay okay okay..." The host always spoke in threes for some reason. "We have a very special night planned for you all. This is not your ordinary rap battle. This is a limited edition, special battle we have planned. Winner takes all, as usual. This is King of the Hill. Each rapper will have a chance to battle the one, the only, Steel Raps to throw him off the top. If that contestant, that sooth sayer, ryhme spayer, rapper with the mostest but not more than the hostest, should succeed..." He looked around at the crowd gauging interest. " ...then he will become the next king of the hill and will win a very special prize which will be revealed at the end of the show." I glanced over, Sho Nuff was massaging Steels shoulders like a prize fighter next to the stage whispering into his ears to what looked like from across the room to be the cure to cancer.
"First up, first challenger, first to take a stab at the king..." The host opening the list to read off the first name. "Danny VIP...Mr VIP, please come to the stage an take this mic." I glanced at Danny ready to laugh but the anxiety of getting Steel smothered the laughter. Danny made his way to the side of the stage. He's was cursing under his breathe the whole time walking up to the stage. "Okay VIP, you know the rules. 30 seconds on the clock, Dee Jay drop that moths fuckin beat already."
Badumm Dumm krshhh Badumm Dumm krshhh...
The bass shook the building it was so loud. Danny was warming up the beat with a couple yo's as he unraveled the paper with the code. Steel stood akimbo across the stage. Red light streaming out from behind his sun glasses. Why would they change his eye colors? Either way he'd be reset in a second...
"Oh ffffuck..." I noticed the engineer pointing towards Danny in the stage and whispering into Nuff's ear. Nuff looked startled. Shit they knew what we were up to. And just as I realized Nuff's crew dashed out on the stage grabbing Danny. I rushed the stage and pulled one of the dudes feet out from under him. It was an all out brawl. The fighting from the stage grew to the floor, pretty soon I didn't
know who I was fighting. As I kicked one dude in the balls I yelled over to Danny to get out of here. I pointed towards the back door where Steel and Nuff slipped out of.
We crashed through the back door, the same door we exited the club last time from. "Shit, they're gone." We saw the tail lights of Nuff's Cadillac take off down the street. Then a voice behind us...
"Yun boys tr'an take on de big gator, hm?" If was the same Louisiana accent from before. He stood behind smoking a cigarette underneath the little light of the alley in gator skin boots and a very large knife proudly hung on his belt buckle.
"Who are you man?"
"Da names Nawlins Jr." The name registered but I couldn't quite place it.
"Oh you're Nawlin's son?!" This was the son of the man Nuff murdered years back. I could see in his eyes what he wanted. "Revenge?"
"Sho Nuff."
No comments:
Post a Comment