Saturday, October 17, 2015

Chapter 14: The Comfort of Sleep

I had enough.  I went to sleep.  It had become the only place of solace.  But even there my problems emerged in strange forms.  I was washing felt and dirt off the dishes.  The wetter and harder I washed the greasier and messier they became.  I turned behind to Steel who was supervising, "how am I supposed to do this?  There's antlers every where?  Why?"

"That's how you have to clean them."  I believed him without question.

With lifelike movements Steel shifted his weight as he stood behind waiting for me to finish.

I couldn't concentrate with Lord Cyrus and Danny running around in the other room.  They were laughing as they pulled the wires out of the walls.

When they reached the baseboard, they starting ripping apart the wood, laughing hysterically.

Fishlips appeared from the other room and began wrapping me in the arm.  He was laughing and frolicking too and began tearing the electrical wires out of Steel.

He took out a knife from the drawer and used it to pry out the remaining electric.  It didn't bother Steel, it actually made him more life like.  Shifting under his shirt as a mannequin coming to life.  I looked over my shoulder and told Fishlips to stop.  He turned his attention to me and started stabbing me in the ribs.  I was going to die, but I couldn't look down until I finished cleaning the dishes.  Danny reminded me that we weren't really alive unless we were willing to die, and at that moment I truly felt regret.
The webbing grew exponentially over the dishes.  I turned the water to boiling hot and blood seeped from the antlers coagulating when it touched the air.  The steam caused my teeth to soften and pieces began falling out.

"Wake up" laughed Fishlips.

"Yes wake up" confirmed Steel.

Danny and Lord Cyrus mocked in the other room, "yeah c'mon wake up, hahaha."

I awoke.  The dawn was just breaking and Steel's shadow became visible.  Under my breath "what a dream."

"I dream" stated Steel softly.

"What are you talking about, you don't dream, you recharge and defragment, you're not real."

Steel paused.  "What are dreams but a collection of recordings associated in a mirage of sensory responses. What do you think makes you human?"

"Emotions, a soul...for one."

"And what are emotions but calculated responses informed by events past, a soul simply the identity of those collections defined by what it is not."

"Ok but what do you feel when you see that sunrise?"

"I see what you call beauty, in fact I see infinitely more, which makes me more human than human.  I see an infinity array of colors.  The complexity is pleasing for many reasons that are too complex for you to understand.  The lines of code that make me up are not dissimilar from your genetic codes, it's just that mine are more logical and efficient."

"Son of a-" he was right.

"Ok Steel lets go through your prompts."  The startup checks hadn't been done in weeks and with the big battle coming up we had to get him functioning top notch.

"What's your name?"

"Steel"

"Good...Where are you from?"

"Original date January 15th"

"No where were you manufactured?"

"Ducks and bunnies, bunnybunnybunnybunnybunny duck -d-d-d-d...fatal error."

"Uh oh"

No comments:

Post a Comment