Word was out. Sho'Nuff had added one of Steels tracks to a local mixtape and it was generating a lot of buzz. You might of heard it, it was called "Flood Da Streets: Volume 3". Everyone wanted to know who this mysterious new figure was. Quite frankly so did I. As Steel became more involved with Natasha and the music business the less I saw him. I was missing the old days when it was all of us sitting around a table, dreaming 'what-ifs'.
I was concerned though. I wasn't quite sure the legalities of the music business and was becoming more of a fish out of water each day. Let's just say I was a long way from lab coats and Bunsen burners. I had to lawyer up. I couldn't trust most of the things Sho'Nuff told me, besides it was well known that most of his artists got burned in the long run. While you were able to get exposure quickly with 'Nuff' it would never last long. Most of the time new artists just kept him current, it was self serving. I couldn't knock it, it was a hustle and he, a hustler. Besides, 'Nuff was already making his presence uncomfortable. He had wanted to add himself as a Hype-man to the track and I specifically told him not too. But sure enough when the mixtape hit the streets it was 'Nuff adding little "eh eh, yeah you know who it is" he even added 'Nufffffff' right at the end of the song and trailed out hanging on the f. It's all about branding and while this whole album was free given the contest we were being cajoled into Big Daddy Sho'Nuffs corner. These streets are like vultures. When everyone spots a gravy train they jump on board. I understood why you couldn't trust anyone in the business. People you think are friends turn on you.
I opened my apartment door. I was out at the grocery store getting dinner. As I was turning the handle, I hear the last voice I wanted to hear or see. Fucking Fish Lips. And he was sitting at the table with Steel and some other guy in a suit. I closed the door hard to let my presence known. I was already a little pissy given I just walked up three flights of stairs with about ten grocery bags in my hand.
"We'll come on in, have a seat" I was seething
"Sorry man just had to talk some business with your man here and you weren't home but Steel let us in. I wanted to talk to you first..." Bullshit. "But you weren't home and all. Well looks like I'm out of here. I got these girls waiting for me to go out tonight and it's getting late." Bullshit again. "I'll see you around man, Steel it was good talking to you." He slipped Steel a phone number from what I could see in the reflection of the glass in the cabinet. I couldn't even turn to look at Fish Lips I was so pissed. Him and the Suit left the apartment.
"Steel, what's going on?"
"Tony wants to represent us."
"Us? Listen, Steel, Tony is a fake. He doesn't know the first thing about business. He's in it to get paid and that's it. He'll be the first one to stab us in the back."
"He's represented other local artists like G-money, The Get-Guap Gang, Lord Cyrus..."
"Lord Cyrus?! We're getting hustled here."
"I don't understand." This was one of those complex emotions Steel was still trying I understand.
"Listen, Tony's no good. He'll put money before his own mother." I could see Steel tense up so I backed off from my speech. His hand was clenching a coffee cup and his grip was tightening. As I went to say Tony's name again Steel crushed the coffee cup in his hand. "You okay Steel?"
"I'm perfect."
No comments:
Post a Comment