Thursday, September 10, 2015

Chapter 9: Sleep standing up

It was almost morning before we got back from the hospital. Danny had a couple stitches but other than that it was just bruises, and more to our pride than physical. The hospital was interesting. Another cold spot in the ocean. A deviation from reality to a place of death and hope all mixed in to create  more questions in your head then you'd care to answer in the brightest fuckin lights this time at night. And whenever you  leave the hospital the first thought is always when you'll be back because it's inevitable. Our creations are what live on.

As we approached the apartment we heard voices behind the door. For a brief second I thought perhaps the goon squad had a change in heart. But the voices were familiar. We turned the handle and opened the door and there was Steel Raps with none other than Danny's art department hook up, Natasha. She was exactly how the name sounded. We weren't sure if she was Russian but she'd often jump into the accent while she smoked her cigarettes. The arts crowd was like that. Plus she was hot so we didn't question it. I met her through Danny when they were dating back in college. They were on again off again more times than I can count. But, Danny would always take her back. I think his first love was his work so she was always second priority.

"Natasha, Steel Raps...what's going on!? I was wondering how you were going to make it back?" She was drunk and slid the bottle to me across the table. "Breakfast of champions."

" I was on my way home from a party when I recognized this rob... this man who looked awfully familiar so I offered him a ride back home." Natasha had found our creation.

"He goes by Steel Raps now...or at least that's his rap alias." I knew we still needed to give him a real name."
"Dr., where did you go on my last battle? I killed it didnt I?" Steel Raps looked genuinely concerned.

"Fuck yeah you did. Danny and I had to go workout some business with the owners of the joint. Tell him how it is." I didn't want to worry him too much although I could see on his face he knew I was lying. Damn this thing, this man is smart. Steel Raps went to his resting spot where he charged. He charged or slept standing up. There were little fixes like this that we still had to workout to make this robot real in everyway. Besides it was too later abandoned project. I don't think I would have it in me to take him apart. To me he had a soul already. A connection to this world that I, even being his creator, couldnt destroy.

Now that Steel Raps was resting, Natasha poured 3 shots and held up it up for a toast. "To the laziest scientists in the world, you've finally finished something!" We laughed and drank the shots. "Now, tell me how you did it. I mean no wonder you guys haven't been around, I thought for second there you replaced poor Natasha with a newer version of me...ah who am I kidding, I'm the only version of me!!" She laughed.

We told her the whole story from the very beginning. All the malfunctions and mishaps. The time he froze on stage due to a programming glitch. The week he didn't stop singing Frank Sinatra because we thought Fish Lips was tampering with him when we weren't home. It had been a rough couple of months and in a way we all been sleeping standing up. By this time we were so drunk I fell asleep in my chair and Danny and Natasha ran off to resume there on again off again relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment