Saturday, September 5, 2015

Chapter 5: Sittin' on a rainbow

(Singing) "I've got the world on a string, sitting on a rainbow, got the string around my finger..."

What the fuck. "Danny what the fuck??"

"Im going to go with a.) Frank Sinatra." Danny replied without hesitation.

"I know that, what are you doing uploading that goodfellas shit?"

"Wasn't me Dr." Danny never hesitated when he was programming, he just let the conversation pass through him. Quite a technique he perfected over the years. Probably the only reason he made it through college given his only other skill was drinking.

"Robot, stop!" He stopped singing. We were just about complete with our creation. Artificial intelligence is not your typical weekend project of building a bird house. The apartment was a wreck. There was wires and metal everywhere and glass if you want to count all the scotch bottles we went through. Something about drinking when you're creating, it's just the ultimate high. The robot was quite a work of art. Six feet tall. Lifelike body, thanks to Danny's hook up at the art department of the university, which he referred to as "oh, her".

I'm not sure what the material was called but it reflected human skin, a little rubbery if you ask me but real to the untrained eye. Danny was working on the vocabulary and comprehension with some program he put together. All we had to do was upload albums to the thing's central membrane through his computer and the robot would retain everything like vocabulary, rhythm...well the flow really and eventually be able to create its own.

"Dr.?" I never knew why he called me Dr., he's about ten times smarter than me and beside neither of us dumb fucks got our PH D. I think it started as joke years back but stuck. I waded through the material strewn everywhere and what was once an easy task to walk 10 feet in my apartment took a minute.

"What is it?" I said as I lined my eyes to his line of sight.

Danny pointed, "Chap stick."

No comments:

Post a Comment